Updated: 07/25/2017 by Computer Hope
Sometimes you may need to do a sort that is not an alphabetical or ascending sort in Microsoft Excel. Below are the steps on how you can create a custom sort in Microsoft Excel to sort the data in the order you want it represented.
- Open Excel and highlight all of the data you want to be sorted. Tip: If you want the data next to the sorted data to remain in the same row make sure you highlight everything including the column you want sorted.
- Click the Data tab and then the Sort button (shown below).
- In the Sort box (shown below) click Custom List under Order.
- In the List entries box enter how you want the data sorted. For example, we’ve entered “2E, 2D, 2S, 3E, 3D, 3S, 4E, 4D, 4S” as our sort order.
- Once you’ve completed entering the data into List entries, click the Add button and then click Ok.