In Microsoft Excel, drop-down menus may be utilized to present a lot of related information in a more organized and easy-to-read manner. They can also be useful when creating forms where a user would need to select a value for one or more questions. To create a drop-down menu in Excel, follow the steps below.
Creating a drop-down menu
Before proceeding, you’ll need to create a list of the values you want to have in the drop-down menu. Enter one value per cell, in the same column.
Tip: This list of values can be created in a second worksheet, allowing users to hide them later on.
- Click the cell in which you would like to create the drop-down menu.
- In the Ribbon menu at the top, click the Data tab.
- On the Data tab, click the Data Validation option.
- In the Data Validation window, on the Settings tab, click on the drop-down list in the Allow section and select the List option.
- Click in the Source field, then highlight the list of the values you want to include in the drop-down menu. The range of values is entered automatically.
- Click the OK button to create the drop-down menu.
If the menu is created successfully, all the values you highlighted to be included. A down arrow is also visible on the right-hand side of the field as you can see in the image below.