Updated: 03/01/2018 by Computer Hope
Restarting a smartphone may be necessary to fix problems with apps on the smartphone, fix errors on the smartphone, or improve the performance of the smartphone. Like restarting a computer, a smartphone restart can help the smartphone function more efficiently and help apps run correctly again.
Unlike a computer, a smartphone does not have a restart or reboot option. Instead, restarting a smartphone requires a user to turn off the smartphone and turn it back on. Follow the steps below to restart your smartphone.
- Find the power button on the smartphone.
- Press and hold the power button until an option appears on the screen that allows you to turn off or power off the smartphone.
- Tap or swipe the turn off or power off option to turn off the smartphone.
- Wait a few minutes to allow the smartphone to fully turn off.
- Press and hold the power button again until the screen turns on, displaying a picture or icon for the smartphone or operating system on the smartphone.
It is possible to turn off an Apple iPhone through menu options. If the power button does not work on your iPhone, use the steps below to turn it off without using the power button.
- Access the Settings screen.
- Find and tap the General option.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the General screen and tap the Shut Down option.